If you are currently looking for a section 8 application, we have some section 8 resources for you. The Section 8 voucher and certificate programs together help over 1.4 million households in the United States. There are massive amounts of information on section 8 and we wanted to aggregate it to save you time from searching all over the internet. Let’s review some questions first.
First off, are you eligible for section 8 or affordable assistance from the government?
Eligibility for section 8 is determined by the Public Housing Authority (PHA) based on the total annual gross income and family size and is limited to US citizens and specified categories of non-citizens who have eligible immigration status.
- Are you a US Citizen or is at least one member of household a US citizen?
- Family’s income must not exceed 50% of the median income for county or area.
- By law the PHA must provide 75% of its voucher to applicants whose incomes do not exceed 30% of median income
- You can search HUD Median income levels here and here.
- Do you have good references, showing you paid your rent on time and have good standings with residences?
You are not eligible if:
- You have a history of drug use, alcohol abuse or violent criminal behavior.
- You committed fraud in connection with a federal assisted housing program in the past
- If the apartment or home you plan to rent is owned by a family member or other close relative
During the application process, the PHA will collect information on family income, assets, and family composition.
If the PHA determines that your family is eligible, the PHA will put your name on a waiting list, unless it is able to assist you immediately. Once your name is reached on the waiting list, the PHA will contact you and issue to you a housing voucher.
What Income is Counted?
This table shows the types of income that are counted when finding your household’s gross income for Federal tenant-based rental assistance programs such as Section 8.
Counted in Household Income
Total income of all household members 18 and over including:
Not counted in Household Income
How Do I Apply for Section 8?
To apply for section 8, contact your local housing authority.