Thursday, February 7, 2008

RentBits | Rental Blog section 8

RentBits Rental Blog Rental Tips and Industy News » section 8

If you are currently looking for a section 8 application, we have some section 8 resources for you. The Section 8 voucher and certificate programs together help over 1.4 million households in the United States. There are massive amounts of information on section 8 and we wanted to aggregate it to save you time from searching all over the internet. Let’s review some questions first.

First off, are you eligible for section 8 or affordable assistance from the government?

Eligibility for section 8 is determined by the Public Housing Authority (PHA) based on the total annual gross income and family size and is limited to US citizens and specified categories of non-citizens who have eligible immigration status.

  • Are you a US Citizen or is at least one member of household a US citizen?
  • Family’s income must not exceed 50% of the median income for county or area.
  • By law the PHA must provide 75% of its voucher to applicants whose incomes do not exceed 30% of median income
  • You can search HUD Median income levels here and here.
  • Do you have good references, showing you paid your rent on time and have good standings with residences?

You are not eligible if:

  • You have a history of drug use, alcohol abuse or violent criminal behavior.
  • You committed fraud in connection with a federal assisted housing program in the past
  • If the apartment or home you plan to rent is owned by a family member or other close relative

During the application process, the PHA will collect information on family income, assets, and family composition.

If the PHA determines that your family is eligible, the PHA will put your name on a waiting list, unless it is able to assist you immediately. Once your name is reached on the waiting list, the PHA will contact you and issue to you a housing voucher.

What Income is Counted?

This table shows the types of income that are counted when finding your household’s gross income for Federal tenant-based rental assistance programs such as Section 8.

Counted in Household Income

Total income of all household members 18 and over including:

  • Wages, salaries, commissions, tips (before any payroll deductions)
  • Regular payments from pensions, annuities, Social Security, SSI, insurance policies, disability and death benefits
  • Interest and dividends
  • Business income
  • Rental income minus expenses
  • Regular gifts
  • Unemployment compensation
  • Alimony and child support
  • TAFDC, EAEDC and other cash public assistance

Not counted in Household Income

  • Income of working dependents under 18
  • Food stamps and fuel assistance
  • Reimbursed training expenses
  • Military war zone pay
  • Lump sum SSI, Social Security, inheritance, and insurance payments
  • Foster care payments
  • Social Security PASS program payments
  • Student financial assistance
  • Temporary or nonrecurring income, including prizes and one-time gifts
  • Income over $480 of full-time students 18 or over (not head of household or spouse)

How Do I Apply for Section 8?

To apply for section 8, contact your local housing authority.


  1. 55 Responses to “Where to Apply for a Section 8 Application”

  2. I’m gonna be neww to georgia and i need to know where to sign up for section 8 vouchers!

    By kashanda on Dec 1, 2007

  3. Thank you for this valuable information on section 8.

    By Stacy on Dec 1, 2007

  4. IM NEW IN ORLANDO AND NOT WORKING I HAVE 3 KIDS AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW TO APPLY FOR SECTION 8

    By johanna on Dec 1, 2007

  5. I would like to know the address to apply for section 8 here in jupiter florida ,I’m trying to help someone else, I need to have the office address, thank you

    iris

    By iris on Dec 1, 2007

  6. I have a house i want to put on the list to rent out. so who do i call or contact.

    By robert on Dec 1, 2007

  7. Hi Johanna and Iris,

    To apply for section 8 in orlando you must first contact the local housing authority. You can do so here: http://www.hud.gov/offices/pih/pha/contacts/states/fl.cfm

    By Dan on Dec 1, 2007

  8. Robert,

    Go to www.rentmarketer.com to rent out your property quickly.

    By Dan on Dec 1, 2007

  9. i just move back to Cleveland ohio.Right now i have not work for a very long time and can not work at a regular job.

    Because of heart problem.I wanted to apply or section 8 and trying to look for something around the Lakewood area in Ohio

    i hope someone can help me,Right now no income and staying places to place

    By Eric on Dec 2, 2007

  10. I need to know who to call if I’m having problems with the person who deals with my section 8 the contractor. She is a very nasty ignorant person.

    By Ericka on Dec 2, 2007

  11. I need to know where can I apply for section 8. My mothers is in disability and its just my brother and I. I would like to apply for section in the city of Motobello…can you help?

    By Kayla on Dec 3, 2007

  12. Where do I apply for section 8 for Oakland County also Wayne County for state of Michigan.

    By Travice on Dec 3, 2007

  13. I’m looking to apply for housing

    By derrie on Dec 4, 2007

  14. i will like a applcation for section or houseing to get a 2bed room appartment i will like the applcation to send by mail.

    By lianne on Dec 4, 2007

  15. I would like to know how and where to apply for section 8 in Stockton, California and Sacramento, California

    By Sheila on Dec 4, 2007

  16. I would like to know where i can apply for section 8 in new york. I am a single mother with 2 boys and i got kicked out of my mom’s house. Unitl i get my own apartment, my boys will be staying with my mom & i’ll be staying a few days at a time with different friends til i can get my own place.please help.

    By JESSICA on Dec 4, 2007

  17. i would like to know if a single person can apply for section 8 and also where i could aplly in glen burnie maryland

    By angelina on Dec 5, 2007

  18. My income is $625 per month from SSI and I live with my grandson. How much of my rent will Section 8 pay if I qualify?

    By JAMES on Dec 5, 2007

  19. can you rent an apartment using your section 8 cert. if the owner is a family member?im disabiled and the apartment meets my disabiliy requirement

    By tabatha on Dec 5, 2007

  20. disabled can i rent from family using sec 8 cert

    By tabatha on Dec 5, 2007

  21. look I have been looking for section8 since I have obtained custody of my three boys I need it one of my children is going through a learning disability do i applied for in newark, new jersey they denied me someone PLEASE give me some info the is going to provide results My children And I have Been moving from place to place and even been in quite a few shelters PLEASE PLEASE I come o you as a honest father who trying to raise three boys Help me???

    By Dana on Dec 5, 2007

  22. I was wondering where can I apply for section 8 here in Virginia, Fredericksburg area. I am self employed but Im looking for a job in the process.
    Thank You,
    Tammy Durrett

    By Tammy on Dec 6, 2007

  23. i moved to georgia to make a better life for my three kids. since i’ve been here,i’ve lost one of my kids, to death of natural causes. i’m in a position now where i just quit a job because i was hired for another job i applied. i’m living with someone an i need a place of my own for my kids an myself. I REALLY NEED HELP. i have to be out the residence where i live by DEC.21,2007. Its cold to be outside with my kids. can section 8 or any housing program help with assisting me. do i qualify?

    By sonja on Dec 6, 2007

  24. i have a website were people can veiw section 8 homes and appartments i am now looking for people to post on there the listing for free and to view it is for free please look over my website and feel free to view it www.superhomerentals.com

    By superhomerentalscom on Dec 6, 2007

  25. www.superhomerentals.com allows for section 8 homes to be listed on their website for free

    By superhomerentals.com on Dec 7, 2007

  26. I will like to know where I can apply for section 8 in palisades park, new jersey. I am a single mom with two children. Thank you.

    By sally on Dec 7, 2007

  27. I need to know the status of my section application in richmond va where and who must i call?

    By Cheryl on Dec 9, 2007

  28. i was looking for a application for section 8 if you would help me out…thanks

    By sara on Dec 10, 2007

  29. I was wondering where to fill out a section 8 apllication in Brandenburg, KY. Please let me know who I need to talk to. Thanks!

    By Samantha on Dec 11, 2007

  30. just started unemployment I’m living place to place I need to know if I can sign up for section 8?How do I go about it?Thank you

    By joel on Dec 11, 2007

  31. do you know of any programs in ct I can join in for training and housing I need something soon I have 2 children I have to help support.Please respond as soon as you can.

    By joel on Dec 11, 2007

  32. Hi, My name is Towanda Bailey and I am a single
    mother of 2 kids 14 and 9 years old. I am looking to move to Georgia in the next 6 months. I already have section 8 now for a 2 bedroom. I need to know how do I go about transferring my section 8 to the city of Ackworth,Georgia. I want to be as prepared as possible. I also need to know if I transferred will the room size change and how much do they run for.

    By Towanda on Dec 11, 2007

  33. DOES ANY ONE KNOW WHERE I COULD APPLY FOR SECTION 8. I’VE BEEN LIVING IN GA, FOR 3YRS NOW AND HAVEN’T FOUND NO SIGN UP YET.

    By TRACY on Dec 12, 2007

  34. i just moved to aurora colorado can you tell me were i need to go to singe up for section 8?

    By carla on Dec 12, 2007

  35. Please help me find the address for Miami/ Fortlauderdale FL, section 8 office or website.

    By Yolande on Dec 13, 2007

  36. i have been waiting 9 months to get help from sect 8. how long doe a person have to wait?

    By vicki on Dec 13, 2007

  37. Take my advise, pray. I’m a single parent with 4 kids. I have two on housing and the older 2 have came back to me. For reasons of my daughter’s safety and my son’s handicap, I allowed them to come home. I am now in jeopardy of being homeless. Think twice before allowing someone to live with you. Even if you have good reasons, they may not allow it. I still praying for mine. Please pray for me. Thank you in Jesus’ name.

    By ronda on Dec 13, 2007

  38. well first of all i am not very familliar with this program but i really need the help i am curentlly 4 months pregnant and i am a single mother i am looking for something in st charles naperville or west chicago if you have any information for me please contact me to my e mail thank you!

    By jessica on Dec 13, 2007

  39. i know someone who is in disability plus he just lost a leg in an accident he is geting a divorce so hes living
    in his car what can he do or were can he go ? does he qualifies for section 8? i really want to do something to help him or at least i want to be able to give him some advice and fast. his 57 and alone he lives in escondido cal where can he apply?

    By monique on Dec 13, 2007

  40. I would like to know how to apply for section 8 please help out thank you

    By Marise on Dec 14, 2007

  41. i need to know where you apply for section 8 for me and my son im a single mother who gets ssi

    By beatrice on Dec 16, 2007

  42. I am single and I work at the same place for the last 25 years, my income it’s around 25.000 a year I would like to know what my chances are of getting an APT. in section 8

    By Dora on Dec 16, 2007

  43. I would like to know where to apply for section
    8 for me and my daughter we don’t have a stable place to live right now me and my child was living with my mom she was paying most of the bills she pasted away march 9,2007. The only income I get is ssi for my child and child support. I don’t know very much about the program we are really in need please someone help. god bless

    By laneta on Dec 17, 2007

  44. I WAS WONDERING IF I COULD DOWNLOAD APPLICATIONS FOR WISCONSIN, GEORGIA, INDIANA, AND ILLINOIS SECTION 8 PROGRAMS.

    By WAMUIRU on Dec 19, 2007

  45. I am 20yrs old with three kids and I don’t know too much about section 8 but I really need help getting started I need to know where do I go to apply. Is there a way I can do it on line?

    By Kayla on Dec 20, 2007

  46. IM GOING TO NC. IM FROM PUERTO RICO AND I NEED INFORMATION ABOUT SECTION 8 OR HOUSING I HAVE 3 CHILDREN, I NEED YOUR HELP PLEASE!

    By GENEVIEVE on Dec 25, 2007

  47. I am on the waiting list for section 8 in Massachusetts I would like to relocate to Dallas,Texas. Can I apply for section 8 online for that area?

    By monica on Dec 28, 2007

  48. I am moving to Hammond Indiana and would like to now where can I go to apply for section 8 at.

    By yvonne on Jan 14, 2008

  49. I live Chicago Il. I would like to know where to apply for section 8

    By Kesha on Jan 14, 2008

  50. HI, I AM TRYING TO MOVE TO GEORGIA FROM MISSISSIPPI AND I ALREADY HAVE A SECTION 8 VOUCHER AND I AM TRYING TO FIND OUT AN HOUSING AUTHORITY WHO IS OBSERVING VOUCHER.

    By YOLANDA on Jan 15, 2008

  51. I am trying to move to the los Angeles area could you tell me how to apply for section 8.

    By Rosonia on Jan 16, 2008

  52. Were can I apply for section 8 online thoughtout maryland. I am a single hard working mother with two childern whose has been staying with friends& family for the last 18mns.

    By celestine on Jan 27, 2008

  53. i have 4 kids and still living with my mom at the age 36 and i need home bad for us me and my kids please

    By betty on Jan 28, 2008

  54. I WOULD LIKE TO SIGN UP FOR SECTION 8

    By antwanayia on Feb 3, 2008

  55. I WOULD LIKE TO SING UP FOR SECTION 8 VOUCHER PROGRAM

    By quinetta on Feb 3, 2008

  56. Iam trying to get section 8 because i have to kids a 1 year old and and a 1 month and i need this please help me.

    By shaniqua on Feb 5, 2008

No comments: